Tags

,

This is Sparky.

And this is Baxter.

Most of the time, they spend their days doing this:

Except when we have visitors.  Then they become 130lbs. of excited, wiggly fur.  It can be a little (okay… a lot) overwhelming if you drop by.

They’re good boys, but about once a year they like to surprise us with their own creative ideas about… ahem… “home renovation”.  Most of their suggestions come as a result of us leaving them alone a tad too long.  What can I say… they like to be “productive” when they’re unsupervised.

Awhile back, they decided to help improve our ventilation.  Surprise!

We had to respectfully disagree with their “vision” for the window.  Luckily, replacing a screen is super easy.  And it’s even easier if you don’t have a wife taking a whole bunch of pictures and saying things like “do it again… that shot was blurry” and “great… wait… nope… still blurry.  Can you just not move for a second?” and my personal favorite, “um… one more.  Can you look like you’re not annoyed?”  I am married to a VERY patient man.

Anyhow, I thought I’d share our how-to steps here since we were thinking we’d need to call someone out to fix this, but my girlfriend, Jenny, told me that this was a job we could totally handle.  (Hi Jenny!)

I picked up the supplies so that we could get to work.  The screen frame was fine.  We just needed new screening…

… and new spline to hold the screen in the frame.

First things first: we removed the screen from the window.

Then we had to remove the old spline.  Tyson used his screw driver to dig it out from the frame.  He then slowly pulled on it as he worked his way around the perimeter of the frame.

Once the spline was out, the screen easily came off.

We had purchased the new screen at the window width we needed.  Tyson laid it out and cut it to the size of the frame leaving some over hang.

Then it was time to install the new spline.

We also purchased this tool to help get the spline into the frame.  The guy at the hardware store said it wasn’t absolutely necessary, but it seemed like a good idea.

Tyson lined up the screen with the frame and starting in one corner, working his way around, pressing the spline into the track.

He held his end taut and I pulled on the opposing end to keep the screen as tight as possible.

Once the spline was completely in, it was time to trim the excess screen.  Tyson used a utility knife to carefully cut off the extra screen without accidentally puncturing the newly installed one.  That would’ve been such a bummer to have to start over.

Finished!  I don’t know about you… but we often have projects that we think should be quick and simple, but end up hitting snag, after snag.  Thankfully this was not the case.  Replacing the window screen was easy – start to finish.

So pretty!  Looks exactly like it’s suppose to.

Good thing these guys are so cute… their design skills could REALLY use some work.