Tags

, ,

When we emptied Tyson’s studio to paint last fall, we made it a point to not bring back in anything that wasn’t going to be a permanent part of the space.  We got rid of a ton of stuff including an extra desk and a changing table that had doubled as a cabinet in the closet. This was our absolute last baby item that we had repurposed once the kids out grew it.  We were being resourceful and it served a function.  And I wish I could tell you we had painted it all cool and it was this really hip piece, but sadly it was a changing table stuck in a closet.

Needless to say, with the desk and changing table gone, Tyson is in serious need of storage.  And we have the perfect spot for a built-in that would provide just that. Over the last two weeks we have been hard at work finishing out our last wall and I can’t wait to share the progress we’ve made.

I mentioned here that the lower wall had been damaged when we removed the garage door openers so we had already done some prep.

Before:

We started with panelling the entire area.

Tyson then built a case for the lower wall.

Before I get to the remaining photos, I need to give credit where credit is due.  During installation and painting, Tyson and I both were taking photos to capture the process.  At one point, Tyson suggested that I stand and take photos in the same spot like he was doing.  My response was something like “Don’t worry… I’ve got this.”  Yeah… guess who’s photos I’m using?

Tyson’s Awesome Time Lapse Photos:

To give you an idea of the actual enormity of this built-in, it spans 12 feet across and it’s 7 feet tall.  It has been designed so that the upper, center cubby can hold a computer monitor and the lower bookcase is a great height and depth for a standing work station. Tyson works long hours and the flexibility to be able to sit at his desk or stand here will be a major benefit.

Side By Side Before & After:

Although the major construction is done, it’s obviously not quite finished.  We now need to wait several weeks for the custom doors and counter top that we are ordering to arrive. But I couldn’t wait any longer to give you an update of where we were at.  It was a little scary applying that first coat of paint to the white surface, but we are really happy with the results.  And I’m beyond excited to have it this far as the built-in was the last big room element to Tyson’s studio that we needed to tackle.  We still have some furniture and decor to install before we can get to the final room reveal, but this is a massive step closer to sharing all of that with you.

And a huge thank you to Tyson for brilliantly capturing the process.  Someone’s genius is showing!